Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Short Story Marathon Training

I have a few friends that, for some ungodly reason, enjoy running. On purpose. Over and over again. When nothing's chasing them! Some even run marathons. I don't understand this.

I am not a runner. I am a writer. I write stuff. I read stuff about writing stuff. While reading stuff about writing stuff a few days ago, I ran across the Story A Day concept at http://storyaday.org/about/. Like NaNoWriMo (http://nanowrimo.org/), Story A Day is a monthlong writing challenge. The difference is that instead of writing a 50,000 word novel during the month of November, the Story A Day challenge is to write a new story each day during the month of May. 

Since it seems my "thing" right now is short stories (see my book in Amazon at http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00M8QQW9C?ie=UTF8&redirectFromSS=1&pc_redir=T1&noEncodingTag=1&fp=1), Story A Day is a marathon I can understand.

I'm thinking about trying it.

Of course, just like I hear is necessary for a real marathon, one should train for these things. I think I'll try a day or two over the next few weeks to write and finish a story or two. After that, maybe a long Story A Day weekend. Maybe after I do that a couple of times I might be able to take a crack at May.

The good news is that even if I don't finish a story every day, this challenge has the potential to start several stories. From there I can polish a plethora of work after the challenge. I see this as a great opportunity to plant the seeds for several stories. I like this idea very much.

I still don't understand why my friends  run.

1 comment:

  1. I used to do triathlons - now I write. Thanks for the info on Story A Day as I might join you for that in May.

    ReplyDelete